I know, I know. It’s been a while since I posted. Betcha thought I forgot about you. Or about health. Or being healthy. Not at all, my friends. I’ve been working on walking the walk, as they say, and forgot about talking the talk. The holidays, winter and spring have been a lot of fun, honestly. So fun that I did occasionally lame out on my health. I went a little nutso with coconut ice cream, for instance, and hard cider with a Fireball chaser. I was a little lax about exercising. And I paid the price with a little winter weight gain and a few sugar-induced migraines. But I also skied and did some rock climbing, and dusted off my elliptical machine. So we’ll call it a wash.
But now it’s spring – the time of renewal. Of starting over. Of green shoots bursting from the ground. And of a million vows to start exercising and eating right again. I don’t know why New Year’s Eve is considered resolution time – everyone I know re-starts in the spring.
This lovely pasta salad is a nice spring renewal offering. I was inspired by a recipe in a health magazine. Mine includes organic brown rice and quinoa pasta (gluten-free), grilled salmon, olives, a LOT of spinach, red onions, and a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon, toasted sesame oil, tahini (sesame butter) and tamari (wheat-free soy sauce). Oh and garlic and sesame seeds. Mmm. It was so good it was hard to stop eating it. Give it a try!
Sondra’s Salmon Pasta Salad
What’s in it — add or subtract whatever sounds good to you, it’s your salad🙂
- 2 cups uncooked GF pasta
- 2 cups grilled salmon, cut up
- 4 cups raw spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tamari (wheat free soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. tahini (sesame butter)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or crushed
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
How to prepare it
- Cook pasta according to package instructions – leave al dente (a little firm, not limpy)
- Drain pasta, transfer to large serving bowl
- Add spinach, stir and allow to wilt a little
- Stir in salmon, onions, red onion
- Mix dressing – combine olive oil, tamari, tahini, toasted sesame oil, lemon and garlic, stirring well
- Combine dressing into pasta salad, then top with sesame seeds
- Stir, serve, and enjoy!